Words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.
Kindness is a superpower that has the potential to change your life and others too! Before I share with you the 21 ways to practice kindness, I’d like to share a story of kindness that’s changed my world view as a child and has had a profound impact on my perspective.
When I was about 10 years old, our family moved from southern side to the northern part of India due to my dad’s work. If you are not familiar with India, you might be surprised to hear that the culture, language, cuisine and many more things vary widely between states. Back in the day, we had to travel 3 days in train to reach Calcutta. Once we reached our destination, we went to our new apartment settled down a little and ventured out in town to grab lunch.
My dad had done some research and picked a south Indian restaurant where we could eat our comfort food! We were all exhausted from our travels and were really looking forward to having a sumptuous lunch. None of us spoke the local language (Bengali) but were brave enough to venture out taking public transportation. The bus we boarded to head to the restaurant was super crowded and we pretty much had to stand for the entire 45-60 minute ride. When we reached our destination, my dad realized that his wallet was stolen in the bus.
As you can imagine, we were super hungry, confused and lost in an unknown city and didn’t know what to do next. When we entered the restaurant, my dad spoke with the manager and explained what had happened to us and asked if we could eat lunch and pay later. The manager was very empathetic and understanding of our circumstances and let us each lunch that day. Of course, my dad went back later to pay for our lunch and thanked them again for their generosity.
Even though this incident happened several years ago, it has left a lasting impression in my mind and demonstrates the profound impact people can have on others’ lives by demonstrating such random acts of kindness. I have several fond memories of growing up in Calcutta for a few years and this memory tops the list for me!
Kindness is truly a superpower that can make you happy while making this world a better place. There is tons of research around how kindness can lead to our own happiness. The best part is that you don’t have to spend a ton of money to make an impact. Demonstrating kindness might be easy when we are trying to help someone in need or when we are helping someone we care about. I urge you to push your boundaries and extend kindness to people you may not know or may not like. Kindness for me also means to be more accepting of others and meeting people where they are and not always where you want them to be.
Here are 21 simple ways to practice kindness
- Be kind to yourself by practicing self-care
- Ask and offer help to someone if they need help
- Hold a door open for someone
- Help someone or a friend before they ask
- Be a mentor to someone at work that can benefit from it
- Volunteer your time at a local non-profit
- Donate money to your favorite charity
- Offer a helping hand to a coworker who needs it
- Talk to a friend you haven’t talked to in a while
- Be kind to the environment. Use less plastic
- Donate blood to the Red Cross (if you can)
- Start a blog or a podcast to inspire people 😊
- Practice active listening
- Compliment someone for a job well done.
- Donate books to your local library
- Donate clothes to salvation Army or any other local non-profit
- Offer a generous tip (over the standard) for services
- Offer your knowledge to someone that needs it.
- Sign up for Be the Match (Bone Marrow Registry)
- Sign up to be an organ donor
- Prepare and share a meal with a family in need
This is not meant to be an exhaustive list and nothing I’ve listed is new. Key to nurturing your kindness superpower is to ask yourself, what does kindness mean to you? and what are some great ways you can practice kindness and make it a habit in your daily life?
Remember to be intentional with your kindness! Kindness is contagious and together let’s make this world a kinder place to live!