I was at a friend’s party this weekend and had a great time catching up with some of my dear friends. We started talking about my blog and one of them (if you are reading this blog, you know who you are 🙂 ) suggested I write a short blog this time. So, I am putting my brevity to the test and hope it still packs the message I want to share…
What are superfoods? – If you search on the internet, you will find a definition and as an added bonus: recommendations for a lot of expensive supplements and powders.
In my opinion, Superfoods are highly nutritious, have proven benefits (research based) and MOST IMPORTANTLY foods that don’t break your wallet and are easy to incorporate in your diet regardless of the diet you follow.
Here are 7 superfoods to consider:
1. Greens: Spinach, Kale, Chard, red-leaf Lettuce are all powerful greens containing tons of vitamins, minerals and are super beneficial for heart and brain health.
2. Cruciferous vegetables: Broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower are high in fiber and have sulforaphane compounds that protect against inflammation and certain cancers.
3. Berries: Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries are packed with antioxidants and vitamins.
5. Legumes: Black beans, kidney beans and lentils are a rich source of plant-based protein and minerals.
6. Mushrooms:Contain possible anti-inflammatory and immune boosting benefits
7. Nuts: Almonds, Walnuts, Cashews,Pistachios…support heart health and reduce risk of diabetes.
This is not a comprehensive list but a good start to leveraging some of the key ones. Depending on your health and doctor/nutritionist recommendations, incorporate some or all of these “superfoods” and reap the benefits! Remember, it’s not about what you eat once in a while but what you eat consistently every day!
Are you ready to add more of these superfoods and invest in good health?
Check out plant-based recipes in the recipe section.