I Can’t believe it’s August already and we have about another month before we fall into the fall season! Summers are filled with crunchy and savory salads in our household and I am so excited to share with you this Chickpea Celery salad recipe that I made for lunch today. Kids loved it too! I’m all about enjoying food that not only tastes good but also nourishes our body and soul.
Every single ingredient in this recipe has amazing nutritional benefits. Here’s a list of the key ingredients.
Celery contains chock full of antioxidants and is known for anti-inflammatory benefits. Ever heard about foods with negative calories (you end up in a net negative calorie deficit)? While the term is not 100 percent accurate, what it means is that you end up using more calories digesting the food than the actual amount of calories in the food itself. 2 cups of Celery is about 16 calories and typically, we end up spending almost 14 calories digesting it. Net net, Celery is a big winner in all categories!
Parsley contains a powerful dose of antioxidants and has a load of vitamins including Vitamin A, C and K. It’s known to reduce cell damage and lower risk for certain diseases.
What’s not to love about sweet bell peppers. They consist of about 92% water and are a rich source of Vitamin C,A, Folic Acid and Potassium.
Cucumbers have a lot going for them. With high water content, rich nutritional profile and refreshing crisp flavor makes it’s a fantastic addition to any salad.
Now that you know how great these ingredients are for you, let’s dive into the recipe!
- 2 cups Celery
- 1 cup Bell Peppers (any color will do)
- 1 cup Cucumber
- 1 cup chopped Parsley
- ½ cup Chickpeas
- 1 Tablespoon Hummus
- 1 tsp lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Finely chop Celery, bell pepper, cucumber and Parsley
- For the dressing, combine 1 tablespoon of hummus with lemon juice, olive oil, salt & Pepper and give it a whisk.
- If you don’t have hummus, you can blend a tablespoon of chickpeas and 2 tsp of sesame seeds and add the remaining ingredients.
- Combine the chopped veggies, chickpeas and the dressing
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes to an hour and enjoy!