Last week, I wrote about the 7 Super Spices to boost your Immune system. I’ve used 4 of the 7 super foods in this recipe. My hope is to provide you some inspiring ideas for adding these to your diet. The main ingredient for this recipe (as you might have guessed by now) is Quinoa. I love the texture of quinoa and given that it’s one of the few plant foods that contains all nine essential amino acids and is high in protein, it’s a great addition to your list of healthy carbs. This is what we made for lunch today and guess what, kids loved it!
- 1 Cup of Quinoa
- 1 medium Onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger and garlic
- Pinch of Turmeric* and cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin seeds* and coriander seeds*
- 1/4 cup of frozen peas
- 1/4 cup of frozen Lima beans
- 1 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Fresh cilantro and mint to garnish (optional)
*also available in the international food/spice section in grocery stores
- Combine 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water and some salt in a saucepan and cook for about 12-15 minutes over medium heat with the pan uncovered. Once cooked, let it sit for 10 minutes and fluff the quinoa with a fork and set it aside.
- In a hot pan, add 1 tsp oil, cumin and coriander seeds (If you don’t have these seeds, you can proceed to the next step below)
- Once the seeds splutter, add chopped onion, pinch of turmeric, cinnamon and salt.
- When onions are slightly cooked, add the frozen peas and Lima beans and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add cooked quinoa and tbsp of lemon juice, salt and mix over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped mint and cilantro right before you serve!