Cooking with my kids is one of my favorite activities. This Sunday afternoon, I enjoyed making this no-bake healthy dessert with my sweet daughter. We love experimenting with flavors and ingredients, especially the ones that are good for you! This date & nut energy bites are packed with nutritious ingredients and is one of my go-to for guilt-free desserts to satisfy sweet cravings.
Here’s a list of the key ingredients and the nutritional benefits
Mixed Nuts (Almonds, Cashews, Pecans & Pistachios)
I’ve used mixed nuts in this recipe but you can easily make it with only one or 2 varieties of nuts. I’ve made a similar recipe with only almonds and it was delicious! Nuts are a good source of plan-based protein, contain several key nutrients including Magnesium, Vitamin E, Selenium & Copper to mention a few (the nutrition profile varies based on the specific nut). Loaded with antioxidants, nuts are known for several potential health benefits of reducing cholesterol, triglycerides and type 2 diabetics.
Did you know that Dates are by weight 80% sugar? Don’t let that deter you from consuming them! They are filled with fiber and phytonutrients. Research has shown that even though they are high in sugar, consuming dates has no adverse affect on blood sugar or weight. On the contrary, consuming dates has shown proven health benefits (rich in antioxidants and vitamins).
Cacao powder is made out of beans inside the pods of Cacao tree. It’s the least processed version compared to Cacoa powder and hence contains more vitamins and minerals. It’s rich in flavonoids and supports brain and heart health!
- 1 cup mixed nuts (Almonds, Cashews, Pecans & Pistachios)
- 3-5 medjool dates
- 1 tablespoon Cacao Powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to make Date & Nut Energy Bites?
- In a food processor, coarsely grind the nuts and set aside. This gives a nutty, crunchy texture. If you prefer a more smooth texture, grind them into a fine powder.
- Next, remove the pit from the medjool dates and grind them in to a smooth paste.
- Combine the ingredients along with shredded coconut, vanilla extract and coconut oil.
Take small portions of the dough and roll them into a ball in between your hands.
- Refrigerate them for 30 minutes and enjoy!
- You can store them in an airtight container in a refrigerator and it will last up to a month or longer if frozen.
What are your go-to guilt free sweet treats? I’d love to hear from you!