In my last post, I shared a 21-day plant based challenge with a goal to consume a minimum of 5 servings of vegetables and 2 -3 servings of fruits every day. If you haven’t started the challenge, I would encourage you to do so.
To support this initiative, I am sharing a plant based sprout salad recipe today. It’s not only easy to make but also is infused with flavors that are guaranteed to pack a punch. The sprouting process enhances nutrition content of the beans and sprouts tend to have higher levels of essential amino acids.
- 3 cups of sprouted Mung beans (Green Gram) You can use any other sprouted beans
- 1 Apple
- 1 Red or Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1 Cucumber
- Chopped Cilantro & Mint
- ½ tablespoon of Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper
- Chat masala (Optional)
- Sprout Beans first- In order to do that, soak 2-3 cups of mung beans in water for 8-12 hours. Drain water and store the beans in a glass container for another 6-8 hours. Here’s a link for more detailed instructions if you’re doing it for the first time. You can also purchase sprouted beans in health food stores to skip this process.
- Mix sprouted Mung Beans (You can add any other variety of sprouts), finely chopped apple, cucumber, bell pepper, mint and cilantro.
- Mix the above ingredients with freshly squeezed lemon juice, salt, pepper and chat masala.
- Refrigerate for an hour or so and enjoy!
Eating plant based food is not an all-or-nothing approach. Rather than focusing on things to avoid, focus on the foods you can add to your diet and let the plants do their magic!